Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Hey, God! Back in the Box, Right Now!

Frankie and I are still working on our book about what we really believe about God, but our entire belief system has changed and continues to do so. We’ve have done hours of research, and I’m not doing any more until I digest what we’ve found thus far.

We were required to go through a course of study at church in order to be allowed to take any part in leadership. It ended up being a doctrine class on what we are supposed to believe in order to be in leadership. I call it Jumping through the Hoops 101. Unless we are willing to perform a certain way, and ascribe to the Sunday School mentality that says, “We have God in our box, and we’re the only ones going to heaven” you will not be allowed to be on the worship team, to teach a class, or lead a small home group. I hate this controlling exclusivity. I don't know what my god will look like when I'm finished creating him or her, but I seriously doubt I'm going to be able to put her or him in a box. And, if I did, I would probably crank the handle and sing until something popped out to scare the hell out of me.

No comments: