Saturday, July 4, 2009

Church in the Office park

I finally gave in. I woke up Sunday morning knowing that I needed to go to that church in the office park, but I bargained with God that I would only go to hear the music then I’d leave before the preaching began. I refuse to be a captive audience to a man who thinks he has a special deal with God to order other people around. I called to see what time the services started and was told 10:00 a.m. When I got there at 9:55 everyone was milling about, and some were leaving. I thought I was off the hook and was about to leave when I discovered that they were only taking a break. The second half was about to begin - you guessed it - the preaching. I had not set my clock back for Daylight Saving Time and I missed the music. I wanted to bolt, but a nice woman approached me and asked me to sit with her so I complied. I met a lot of nice people. I don’t remember their names. It felt okay to be in that place, but I still don’t feel like I belong in a church.

No comments: